Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Saturday 21 January 2017

FNSI and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge


Many thanks to Wendy for hosting our first FNSI for 2017. There were 34 of us at the party last night - click on the link to see what everyone was doing.

I was not terribly productive - I cut out these diamonds for my Hexathon quilt and got them all basted, then got interested in a film and the knitting I had intended to get on with stayed in it's bag!



I have been following a few bloggers who do the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I thought that this year it would be a good idea for me, a way to clear away a few scraps.
So I am joining up with Angela at soscrappy for ScrapHappy Saturday.

I have decided to use two related block designs - the Friendship Star


and Star on Star


Which, put together, look like this


although I have not joined them yet as I want to play around with the layout a bit. Having read this sad story by Chantal, I now have two of those blocks soaking in Metapex as there was a trace of purple on the kitchen paper when I tested one of the fabrics. I must remember to test all my old fabrics before I use them!

Maybe I should have made more blocks as this has hardly made a dimple in my stash and so following the lead of Fiona I decided to make a storage basket for my desk. I replaced this ugly thing that holds my small rulers and other useful items


with this


I pieced together some scraps of batting and used some fairly stiff fabric (that I don't like very much) for the lining. I found a short length of purplish binding in my box of binding scraps and there we are, a truly scrappy basket. I need one more basket for my desk which I shall do another month and I could do with a new mat to stand my sewing machine on too which could be made by the same method.

Thank you Angela for hosting the RSC.

28 comments:

  1. Very nice blocks! I like the alternating patterns and colors. Love the basket, too. Bonne journee'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the purple stars. Both of them. They look like sisters sitting next to each other. Great job on the basket too. I want to make a basket a la Fiona too. Don't forget to check for bleeders in the scrap bin. Some fabrics have been in the scraps for so long, we don't remember if we washed or not. I've learned a lesson the hard way. So test the scraps for bleeders. Have a great day! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your star blocks are beautiful! They will be perfect for an RSC quilt! I have to admit I don't prewash, so hope I don't run into trouble one of these days. I have had good luck with putting Color Catchers in the wash with my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say you were very productive!
    Love the little stars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely cheerful basket for your odds and ends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That basket was a great way to put lots of fabric to use. The dark and light backgrounds of your purple blocks really play nicely together. Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely basket and lovely Friendship Star blocks (I am doing those too). Welcome to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great RSC block!
    I use several "Color Catchers" in a load when I wash quilts and I've never had any bleeding problems. I don't prewash my fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those two star blocks go together so well and should look great in a rainbow setting. Glad to have you with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lin, your friendship block is gorgeous. I love the colour combinations as well as the pattern.
    Great storage box as well! Wish I could get as organised with my paint gear ;D)
    Cheerio and have fun stitching :D)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you got lots done. I love friendship stars and of course the fabric basket is great for storage of any kind as well as using up bits of wadding you don't really like!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!! you are off to a GREAT start with your Friendship Star blocks and your scrappy basket.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Friendship Star and Star on Star blocks are so pretty! They look great together. Nice basket too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great star blocks, lucky you picked up the colour issues early.
    Lovey basket too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought you were quite productive too Lin. And those stars....oh my gosh, theyre beautiful! Just love stars...it will be a fabulous quilt, I'm sure....great Idea with the rulers too. thanks for joining in for FNSI I'll draw a winner tomorrow! xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the blocks you've chosen to do, good job you discovered the purple wasn't colour fast at this stage in the making. Your new basket is pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your star blocks are really lovely and look so great together and I love baskets and pland on making a few from Fiona's tutorial too, always handy to have .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful blocks,love your layout and also the basket,gorgeous.

    wishing you a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great choice of blocks! They look lovely together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the two blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice blocks and lovely basket. Love the purple things going on!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful blocks - oh how I hate when fabric runs though, I had that happen on a couple of Christmas gifts I made, had to throw them out. Love your basket, so pretty - and I love the pic in your header!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the rainbow blocks - this is such a great idea...though I suspect it wont use up much of the stash...

    ReplyDelete
  24. At least you found out about the purple before having an issue! That basket makes a huge difference and it looks great - I love the idea of having something like that to hold all your bits! Must have been a good movie I feel you didn't even pullout the knitting lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. The rainbow scraps are such a good idea Lin, you might have to make some more of those blocks for each time, to make a dent in your pile of pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I see many folk are doing the scrappy Rainbow thing.. May be a good idea for me too.
    Love your blocks and lovely basket..

    ReplyDelete
  27. I didn't do anything with my scarps last year and accumulated a lot of strings. A basket like the one you made would be a most useful addition to my sewing area.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.